Car hire in New Zealand is simply the best way to travel this nature, culture and adventure rich country. No other form of travel transport gives you the same freedom, flexibility and independence to create your own itinerary than rental transportation. Finding a car hire company in New Zealand is reasonably straightforward – you have the internet to search, travel agents to advise and depots based at NZ international airports where you can book direct. Finding the best rental vehicle company however requires a little more attention to detail. To help you find the right company for your holiday in New Zealand we have noted a few key points to consider.
A good car hire company in New Zealand should offer:
- A free quote to hire a rental vehicle
- A secure online booking system on their website (hint: look for the ‘s’ in your browser when you click onto the bookings page e.g. http ‘s’://www.website.com
- Free pick up from all international airports
- Free pick up and delivery at airport located accommodations
- Several locations across New Zealand (NZ compromises two islands, the North and South Island)
- Maps and travel guides available
- Roadside assistance
- Able to arrange train and Cook Strait ferry ticket bookings (the strait between the North and South Islands of New Zealand is called the Cook Strait. Ferries leave Wellington (located at the bottom of the North Island) and Picton (located at the top of the South Island) on a daily basis. The voyage takes three hours and it is likely that you will drive your car hire upon the Interislander ferry.
- A wide selection of rental vehicles including: hatches, sedans, station wagons, people movers, minibuses and luggage trailers
- Rental vehicles with both manual and automatic transmission to suit your personal driving preference
- A range of vehicle features and amenities such as air conditioning, child car seats, CD and MP3 players.
- A selection of add-on accessories such as: snow chains, mobile phone hire, GPS navigation systems, ski and snowboard racks
An important part of booking any travel related service is gauging an idea how reputable and professional the company is. You can find information relating to this on their website from client testimonials, quality rating logos or on third party travel review sites. Word of mouth can be one of the most reliable sources of information, so if you have friends or family who have travelled in New Zealand ask them about the car hire companies they dealt with.
The last determining factor will be your budget. With the above points in mind you can look for the best price-based deals and make the right car hire decision for your travels in New Zealand.